[NAFEX] Black Monukka Grape Opinions

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Wed May 20 22:29:55 EDT 2009

	Jupiter is a seedless muscat ( muscat is a very rich, aromatic flavor)
and it's quite productive.  However, given that the U. of Arkansas uses
a spray program on it, it's not likely to be particularly resistant to
disease.  Possibly somewhat less resistant than Concord, depending on
where it's grown.
	Seedlessness in grapes all traces back to one or two vinifera grapes.
Since vinifera is an old world species, it has very little resistance
to American grape diseases.  In crossing it to American species, only a
small percentage of the offspring are seedless, and only a few of
those are good enough to even be considered as new varieties.  So
breeders select for seedlessness first and vine traits second,  Since
disease can be sprayed, resistance necessarily has to be down the list
of breeding objectives.   That is, if  you selected the seedlings for
disease resistance first, and looked for good seedless types among
those resistant vines, you might have to grow  many thousands of vines
to find  one  good, disease resistant seedless selection.
	There will be good disease resistant seedless grapes eventually, but
for now the most resistant grapes are seeded.
=Lon Rombough
short, low resolution clip here:
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
A video about The Grape Grower :