[NAFEX] Chipmonks in blueberries

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Wed May 20 18:43:45 EDT 2009

mIEKAL, I have birds harvesting my blueberries, too.  I have fence-
posts about 2.5' tall around my half-high blueberries.  I have 2' of
chicken wire to keep out the bunnies.  I reinforce the bottom foot of
that with hardware cloth.  When the berries are near ripe I drape bird
netting over the top, so it overlaps the hardware cloth.

I used to drape the bird netting to the ground, but critters (mostly
chipmunks and juncos) tried to get in underneath, and snared
themselves in the netting, and removing the rotting little bodies was
very unpleasant.  The foot of hardware cloth has eliminated that
problem.

Ginda