[NAFEX] Identifying mulberry species

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Tue May 19 10:20:17 EDT 2009

Mathew,
I'd be more inclined to suspect that your 'unproductive' tree is
either a male(staminate) M.alba, or perhaps an M.albaXrubra
hybrid.  M.rubra, in my experience, has very 'rough' leaves - almost
sandpapery, due to the hairs and their irregular surface.
M.alba - http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/Syllabus2/factsheet.cfm?ID=527
M.rubra - http://www.cnr.vt.edu/DENDRO/DENDROLOGY/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=58

Early in our orcharding endeavors, the wife ordered 4 'dwarf'
mulberries - I now suspect that they were just row-run M.alba
seedlings, perhaps from a 'dwarf' selection - 3 of the 4 were fairly
small-statured fruiting females producing tiny unappetizing berries -
even the birds didn't find them especially appealing; the fourth
plant was a very vigorous male that quickly grew to 15 ft before I
chainsaw-pruned it.

Broussonetia papyrifera(paper mulberry), when I've seen it - usually
growing around old homesites, or in older parts of town - rarely
achieves 'tree' stature - they're usually present as a thicket,
rarely surpassing 10-12 ft in height.  I've seen photos of the fruit,
but have never observed, in person, a fruiting female plant.
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/DENDRO/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=340
I do know some folks who've eaten the fruits - my understanding is
that they're nothing like as tasty as a decent mulberry.

Lucky