[NAFEX] red meat

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Sun May 17 14:00:36 EDT 2009

What bothers me about red meat as much as anything is the inefficiency of
it- the amount of land it takes to produce a given amount of protein.
Americas obsession with large portions of it ties in well with our general
state of hyper-consumption.  Because it is taboo at this site, I won't bring
up the subject of greenhouse gasses and livestock (you're welcome Ron).

I like the small farm model where animal husbandry is tied into the whole
sustainability of the model.  A field left for grazing for a season will be
far more productive the following year and all that.  Plus the benefits of
animal manures.  I am sure there are members of the list who are far more
informed on this subject than me so I'll stop there.

As a non-vegetarian fruit lover I am a huge fan of a diverse diet where a
hunk of protein is not the central point of interest on the dinner plate.
It is certainly a way to consume a lot of calories quickly when you have an
8 to 12 ounce piece of meat that the rest of the meal is built around.

Anyway, I recommend that all of you eat more fruit, preferably from your own
trees, vines and shrubs.  The exercise involved in growing your own food
will probably have even more to to with increasing your health and longevity
then a diet well integrated with fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
Cheers.