[NAFEX] Freeze or Frost?

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Tue May 12 09:24:13 EDT 2009

On May 12, 2009, at 12:13 AM, Steve wrote:

> The National Weather Service forecast is for a low of 23 tonight with
> "Patchy Frost". The weather channel was predicting a hard freeze with a
> low of 30. (I see they are now saying 26 degrees.)
>
> Mostly I'm just complaining about the weather but my question is, how
> can the NWS call 23 degrees "Patchy Frost"? Wouldn't that be a pretty
> widespread frost at that temperature? Wouldn't it actually be a hard
> freeze?

Around here we often get the reverse problem in the forecast:
"Widespread frost predicted tonight with lows in the mid-thirties."
Huh?

To partially defend the weather service: this is an area where it's
perfectly possible for a significant chunk of their covered area to
have frost or even hard freeze, while other portions of the area have
temperatures in the midthirties or even in the low forties. But I still
think the above forecast would make much more sense phrased as, "Lows
in the mid-thirties in some areas, but significant areas of frost
expected". (The actual result, right where my thermometer was hanging,
turned out to be 33º; I'm in neither the coldest nor warmest place that
they cover. I have a friend in a cold spot who may well have gotten
mid-twenties last night.)

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly