[NAFEX] coastal oregon fruit growing

Ceely Will ceely8 at hotmail.com
Sat May 9 13:25:06 EDT 2009

 I live on the southern Oregon coast about 1/2 a mile inland.  I am USDA zone 9 and sunset zone 5.  I planted a small orchard this spring and would like advice on what grows well here.  The annual temperatures are normally between 30 F and 70F.  Northwest winds of 5-20 miles per hour are pretty much constant all spring and summer.  I am planting a windbreak for the orchard- does anyone know how to germinate filbert seeds?

I planted Libery, Gravenstein, and King apples along with Seneca, Italian and Beauty plums, Lapins and Rainer cherries, Rescue and Blake's Pride pears, Starfire peach, and five differnt varities of blueberrys.  I also grafted 15 differnt heirloom apple varities on M27 rootstock and ordered a few more grafted onto MARK.

I would like to find some way to develop a small commerial direct to consumer fruit orchard on my property and sell the produce at farmer's markets and the like.  I've been talking to the extension agents about commercial blueberry production and reading WSU Mt. Vernon's varitey trials.  I have tried talking to the nearest commerical fruit tree extension agent in the state and was basically told that my idea is impossible.  Is there any success to be had selling varities like Hudson's Golden Gem, Ashmead's Kernal, William's Pride, Wyoonce Early, Melrose, Spitzenburg, Libery and other either disease resistant or heirloom apples directly to consumers.

I'm sorry for how long winded this is but I have a TON of questions.

Thanks,

Ceely Will