[NAFEX] Atlantic Queen pear

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Sat May 9 06:55:38 EDT 2009

It's interesting how varieties of fruit can be publicised in different
ways.  Some have publicity similar to a mother bragging about her child.

I think Atlantic Queen has benefited from this as descriptions of it are
taken from the late Leuthardt himself as he described the pear in his
catalogue when it was an exclusive for him many years ago.

I manage a single Atlantic Queen that was purchased from Leuthhardt Nursery
in Long Island, NY about 30 years ago.  This doesn't give me anywhere near
enough experience with it to qualify me as a critic but I must say that on
the tree I manage the pears do not get up enough sugar to qualify it as a
fine dessert pear.  It is a site that doesn't provide optimum sun but it
does get full sun from mid morning until an hour before dusk and the Boscs
and Seckels from adjacent trees are sweet as candy.  Anyone else out there
have experience with this pear?