[NAFEX] complete pear scion list

Kieran &/or Donna holycow at frontiernet.net
Fri May 8 23:57:48 EDT 2009

These are what I got from Corvallis.  They send 2 sticks of each var, and I
will have at least 1 full stick leftover from most vars.  A few I will have
little or nothing left over.  They will keep in the fridge, so there is no
hurry.  If you want to try some, do your research on the Corvallis site
http://www.ars.usda.gov/Main/docs.htm?docid=11372 and get your rootstock
sorted out.  Some people have bought Bradford pears on sale for rootstock.
    There are plenty of caveats I could add.  Duchess is not very blight
resistant.  Before FB it was a very good pear for the south.  I have
selected some Duchess seedlings because of this, Douglas and Mooers.
Douglas sounds pretty good to me, and as I already have it grafted now, I
will probably only do 1-2 more grafts of it.  I doubt El Dorado is very
Blight res.   I really don't care that much for Oriental pears, so will
mostly be grafting to observe them, not to eat myself.  Definitely ask me
for anything you are interested in, and don't worry about being greedy.  If
I have too many requests for some vars, you may not get one you want most so
at least you'll get something.  How about if you star the ones you want most
in your list.  Some of you will want low chill vars, some of you will want
the best quality because you don't have to worry as much about blight in the
north as I do.  Some will want ironclad blight resistance.  Burford is
recommended for that.  Not on my list because I already have it is Ayers, a
truly wonderful pear and very blight resistant.  Do yourself a favor and get
a tree or graft one, and remember it needs a pollinator!    Donna

1         Atlantic Queen communis L. - TESTED - VERY LARGE FRUIT

2        Southern Barlett   VIRUS TESTED - LOW CHILL

3        Blakely's Bartlett Pyrus communis L. - VIRUS INFECTED - LOW CHILL

4        Bartlett Low Chill from South Africa   VIRUS TESTED - LOW CHILL

5        Burford Pear  communis L. - LATE RIPE, PERRY

6        Carrick communis L. -  TESTED - FIRE BLIGHT RESISTANT, LOW CHILL

7        Chojuro  pyrifolia (Burm. f.) Nakai - VIRUS TESTED - BLACK SPOT
RESISTANT

8        Dabney  communis hybrid - TESTED - FBR, QUINCE COMP. , PHS Favorite
2005

9        Douglas LATE RIPE, FIRE BLIGHT RESISTANT

10     Duchesse d'Angouleme - P communis L. - TESTED - LATE RIPE, FBR,
QUINCE COMPATIBLE

11     Duchesse d'Angouleme Bronzee  - TESTED - LATE RIPE, FBR, QUINCE COMP

12    Early Harvest aka Chambers FIRE BLIGHT RESISTANT, EARLY RIPE

13    El Dorado  LATE RIPE, FIRE BLIGHT RESISTANT

14     Eureka hybrid - TESTED - LATE RIPE, FIRE BLIGHT RESISTANT

15     Good Christian  hybrid -  TESTED - LATE RIPE, LOW CHILL, FBR

16    Hebe  VERY LATE RIPE

17    Henderson  VIRUS INFECTED

18    Honeysweet communis L. - TESTED - FIRE BLIGHT RESISTANT

19     Hoskins communis L. - TESTED - VERY LATE RIPE, FIRE BLIGHT RESISTANT

20    Imamura Aki  pyrifolia - TESTED - LATE RIPE, BLACK SPOT RESISTANT,
SCAB RESISTANT

21    Leona   Pyrus hybrid - VIRUS TESTED - LATE RIPE, LOW CHILL 450 hrs,
SCAB RESISTANT

22    Lucy Duke  communis L. - VIRUS TESTED

23     Luscious  communis L.  TESTED - COLD HARDY, MILDEW RES, SCAB R, LOW
CHILL , FBR

24     Magness  - communis L. - FBR, SCAB RESISTANT, QUINCE COMPATIBLE

25     Manning-Miller  - communis L. - TESTED - COLD HARDY, SCAB RESISTANT,
FBR

26    Maxine  FIRE BLIGHT RESISTANT, MILDEW RESISTANT, QUINCE COMPATIBLE

27    Merricourt  communis L. -TESTED - FIRE BLIGHT RESISTANT

28    Mooers communis L. - TESTED - FIRE BLIGHT RESISTANT

29    Monterrey FIRE BLIGHT RESISTANT, LOW CHILL, MILDEW RESISTANT, SCAB
RESISTANT

30    Morgan communis L. - FIRE BLIGHT RESISTANT, SCAB RESISTANT

31    Okolo - pyrifolia (Burm. f.) Nakai -  TESTED - FBR, COLD HARDY, SCAB
RESISTANT

32    OHxF 51  ROOTSTOCK-Dwarfing

33    OhxF 87  ROOTSTOCK-Semidwarf, Productive, Large Fruit Size

34    OHxF333  FIRE BLIGHT RESISTANT, ROOTSTOCK-Semidwarf,

35     Pai Li ussuriensis Maxim. -TESTED - LATE RIPE, FBR, MILDEW RESISTANT,
SCAB RESISTANT

36    Pope [Bonner] Pyrus sp. -  INFECTED - LATE RIPE, SCAB RESISTANT

37    Richard Peters hybrid -  TESTED - FIRE BLIGHT RESISTANT, LOW CHILL

38      Shinseiki (Burm. f.) - TESTED - BLACK SPOT RESISTANT, SCAB
RESISTANT, COLD HARDY

39    Southworth  FIRE BLIGHT RESISTANT, COLD HARDY, apparently SELF-FERTILE

40    Stout  LATE RIPE

41    Surecrop  communis L. - VIRUS TESTED - LATE RIPE

42    Tse Li ussuriensis. -TESTED - LATE RIPE, ANCIENT, LOW CHILL 500 hrs,
FBR, PSYLLA RESISTANT

43    Tyson  communis L. - TESTED - FBR, QUINCE COMPATIBLE