[NAFEX] grapes starting

Jim Cooper JCooper at lewiston.k12.id.us
Fri May 8 11:20:58 EDT 2009

I just put some cuttings in wet peat, on a heat mat, in a dark plastic bag, to start rooting. This takes from 2-4 weeks and then they callous and root quite well. Start by soaking them overnight in water, to add some moisture.  But these were cut and stored for 2 months now. I have read that even if it is starting to bud it can be rooted this way. You must get roots before the leaf opens out side or the leaves will dry it out too much. So it may be too late to start outside if buds are opening, like they are here in ID. We have several leaves open!

>>> John Weber <todotoo at yahoo.com> 5/8/2009 1:42 AM >>>

Do you think it is too late to do this here in Northern Minnesota?

>>Grapes root pretty readily from dormant cuttings... pieces about 3 buds
long, stored cool and damp (some folks just bury a bundle), then stuck 2
buds deep in the ground  in the spring and kept damp.  I got a good 90%
take with some Baco Noir prunings that way.

John Weber
http://www.rea-alp.com/~dragnfly

No exceptions.