[NAFEX] Apricots from Afghanistan

Richard J. Ossolinski ossoeo at myfairpoint.net
Thu May 7 14:20:04 EDT 2009

On May 7, 2009, at 1:44 PM, Melissa Kacalanos wrote:
> I was grocery shopping the other day, and found some interesting
> things: organic dried apricots, whole with pits, and organic apricot
> kernels, both imported from Afghanistan. Forgive me for being
> surprised that at least part of Afghanistan has been stable for long
> enough to allow an orchard to exist.

Melissa,
Am only speculating here, but from what I saw during a recent road trip
through the Stans, apricot "orchards" hardly seem necessary, as wild
trees are as prevalent
there as spruces are here in Maine.  Even in the most rugged mountain
terrain (think Osama) apricot trees seem to have established themselves
wherever a few teaspoons of soil exist near a trickle of water: really
pretty amazing.  Contact me off list if you'd like to see photos.
Richard
Gouldsboro, ME Zone 5