[NAFEX] Plum curculio in cold and wet

dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Tue May 5 20:48:08 EDT 2009

We do our normal tilling in our tree rows generally once a month beginning
in May with our Weed Badger.  We catch the end of June drop that would get
any PC eggs between 550 DD and 800 DD, then again when the PC pupae are in
the soil if any eggs were missed, generally from 900 DD through 1200 DD.
That would be the only time tilling would be beneficial against PC.  The
critical control period for codling moth eggs is around 250 - 300 DD which
is also just after petal fall for us and a critical control period for adult
PC.  I use Calypso, which is an ovicide for CM and is very effective against
PC just after petal fall.  With our cultural practices and Calypso we have
been able to control PC for the past 2 seasons since phasing out Imidan
completely.  We are now organophosphate free!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
Office (815) 648-4467
Mobile (815) 228-2174