[NAFEX] apple blooming too much?

dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Sat May 2 21:04:15 EDT 2009

Ginda,

If you want your apples to size up well, then you will probably want to thin
them some.  I would let the fruit set to see exactly how many of the blossom
actually produce fruit.  Once they are about 5MM or so size, you can thin
them by choosing the king, which is the largest fruit, then the next largest
and then the next largest for a total of 3 fruit per cluster.  Pinch the
rest off.  On the size tree you have, if you don't thin, the fruit will
probably not size up very well.  Just a thought!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
Office (815) 648-4467
Mobile (815) 228-2174