[NAFEX] OT Low Lignin & high Tannin forages (seed?)

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Tue Mar 31 17:33:33 EDT 2009

At 01:28 PM 3/31/2009, Naomi wrote:
>I apologize .. OT again.  I have been doing some reading about the
>Environmental and Nutritional benefits of  low lignin and high
>tannin forages as feed for ruminants.  I will be doing a replanting
>of my alfalfa field next year.  Does anyone know When  If Where From
>whom ..seed will be available?
Naomi,
What species, in particular, are you looking for?

Down here in the Southeast, the meat goat researchers are pushing the
perennial sericea lespedeza - but it's on the noxious weed list in
some states.  There are some low(er) tannin sericea varieties(like AU
Lotan & Serala) that evidently are more palatable to cattle, but I'm
not certain that goats discriminate against the straight species type.
I'm a big fan of annual lespedeza - Marion is really good, and the
old standard Kobe & Korean types are not at all bad.
Another species the goat folks have recommended is sainfoin - but I
know absolutely nothing about it.
I've tried birdsfoot trefoil, but had no success getting it established.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY