[NAFEX] Weather (Off topic)

Mark Dorogi mddorogi at comcast.net
Sun Mar 29 12:43:18 EDT 2009

One of the most fascinating things to me is the difference between earth and
Venus, where the atmosphere is practically all CO2, 100 times thicker than
ours, the surface pressure is 1400 psi, and the temperature is 900F.   Why?
All the carbon is in the atmosphere on Venus, since there is no water to
complete the cycle where carbon is fixed in rocks and other underground
storage methods.  There is no water because Venus is close enough to the sun
that the solar energy disassociated water molecules long ago, and the
lighter H2 escaped to space.  All of the carbon was eventually oxidized, and
there is sits in the atmosphere.  It is believed that earlier in its
history, when the sun was cooler, Venus did have water and could have been
more earth-like, but we obviously don't know.

At least, that's the prevailing theory to explain the situation on Venus,
not without some shortcomings no doubt.

Earth has around the same amount of carbon as Venus, but most is locked up
in rocks and underground.   The atmosphere holds around 750 billion tons of
CO2; sequestered amounts of carbon are something like 80 million billion
tons.

There is no danger of having the same run-away greenhouse effect here on
earth, we are simply too far from the sun for that.   So, yes, the earth is
a closed system, we still have the same amount of carbon we always had, but
we are moving large quantities from sequestered forms like fossil fuels into
the atmosphere by burning those fuels and changing land use patterns.  We
are putting more into the atmosphere than the normal carbon cycle can
remove: hence, the atmospheric concentration is building.  Roughly, we put 6
billion tons of CO2 into the atmosphere per year, something like half or
more is took up pretty quickly by the oceans and plants, etc, and the rest
is building in the atmosphere.

Mark