[NAFEX] Weather

Betty Mayfield bmayfield at opusnet.com
Sat Mar 28 19:09:16 EDT 2009

To the list,

In an article in January, the Wall Street Journal
reported that Alpine ski resorts are having to
use snow cannons to supply artificial snow, sucking up water supplies.

"Swiss ski resorts, which tend to be at higher
elevations and have reliable snow cover, still
have relatively few snow cannons, covering around
19% of all slopes. That compares with 50%
coverage in Austria and 100% in some Italian ski
areas. Across the Alps, snow-making machines now
suck up nearly as much water as Vienna, a city of
1.7 million people, says Josef Essl, in charge of
land-use planning and nature conservation at the
Innsbruck-based Austrian Alpine Association. . .

"Snow cannons take water, supercool it and spray
it out over the ski runs. You need to build pipes
up the mountainsides to bring water to cement
storage tanks, and pipes to take it to the snow
cannons. Scientists predict that lower resorts
will have to be abandoned by 2030 anyhow, as
rising temperatures lift the snowline and make it
harder for snow machines to operate. The skiers
will leave, but not the pipes and cement."

Betty Mayfield
northwest Oregon