[NAFEX] Weather

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Sat Mar 28 15:30:54 EDT 2009

Early on in the last decade I was among the scientists who thought that
solar cycles should be closely examined for their role in so many years of
highest-recorded worldwide temperatures.  I've kept up with the research,
and find 100% agreement among climatologists (I'm not one, but feel trained
and adept at understanding published studies) that this is a carbon-based
fuel use phenomenon, not a solar one.  The arguments are more than
persuasive; they are neat, elegant, logical, clear, repeated, validated, and
scientifically irrefutable.  Read them rather than taking my word for that.

One of the many explanations for the global climate change phenomenon is
that during the Cambrian period atmospheric carbon was much higher.  This
led to very high global temperatures, incompatible with human life.  The
plant species of the time evolved to use the high levels of CO2, and that
carbon was further utilized by the animals that ate those plants.  Carbon
was drained from the atmosphere; perhaps by consumption alone, or in tandem
with other events.  Those animals and plants died in a rapid and massive
extinction event (very likely caused by climate change).  Their carbon
settled deep into the earth over time (which is why fossils are dug up, not
found on the surface), thus sequestering the carbon - making it unavailable
to the atmosphere.  We call their remains and their carbon "crude oil."

We are taking the carbon from that climatologically different - and much
hotter - time and burning it, placing the carbon back into the atmosphere
and recreating Cambrian levels.  You simply can't burn the amount of carbon
that we do at the pace that we do without creating global climate change.

There are many models of how this will manifest.  Warming may set off a
chain of events that could lead to a rapid ice age, for instance.  Storms
may be warm hurricanes or freezing superstorms.   Weather will certainly
continue to be different than it has ever been in human history.   Species
extinctions are at a rate comparable with other mass extinction events; we
are experiencing a mass extinction event right now.  The only question is
which species will survive, and what we can do to slow or reverse climate
change.

Many climate change naysayers site 2008s coolness relative to the previous
dozen years as evidence that climate change is not occurring.  2008, though,
was the ninth hottest year ever recorded; it just seemed cool because of the
string of previous years of record global high temperatures.

Back on topic - over the past decade I've been able to grow zone 10 plants
comfortably in my nominally zone 8 region.  This is not at all a reasonable
sampling of others' experience; but locally here in California's central
valley my bananas and Kaffir lime are doing quite well.  Got too hot for my
guava last summer, though.

~ Stephen