[NAFEX] Minnesota apples grown in West Virginia

Ed Fackler ed.fackler at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 10:53:03 EDT 2009

Neal:

     The trees will do fine provided that you monitor/deal with Cedar Apple
Rust.  Depending on variety (well most of them) they are susceptible to this
disease.  Also fireblight pressure will be higher in Ohio than in MN.

     Unfortunately many U-MN varieties can't take the annual summer heat of
the lower midwest.  My personal favorite of the bunch, Sweet 16 will not
develop its wonderful flavor in many years, doesn't color much and is not as
crisp as grown up north.  Same with Honeycrisp.  State Fair is okay, but its
flavor ain't much here.

     Bud 9 is resistant to fireblight but this does not impart any
resistance to the upper variety.  Of course they are all susceptible to a
host of insects and summer diseases which may/may not exist in MN.

     Good luck.

ed, So. Ind. near spring time here