[NAFEX] Dennis's oil spray advice

dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Fri Mar 20 21:38:10 EDT 2009

We have used mycorhizal fungi in one of our replant disease trials in the past.  The expense was astronimical!  The strobulirins that we use were inspired by a group of natural fungicidal derivatives of b-methoxy acrylic acid  (the simplest of which are strobilurin A, oudemansin A, myxothiazol A), which are produced by a range of forest fungi and bacterium as they work against other fungi or diseases. These natural strobilurins are produced by certain forest mushrooms and are secreted into the decaying wood on which they grow.  The fungus Strobilurus tenacellus, which grows on fallen pinecones, produces Strobilurin A.  Both the strobilurin produced by mushroom and the pine cone are used in the sprays we durrently use.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
Office (815) 648-4467
Mobile (815) 228-2174