[NAFEX] scab and CAR control in southeastern NY Z6

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 18:13:05 EDT 2009

Wow, Dennis, that's an awful lot of applications to control fungus.  I get
absolute control of scab and CAR with a max of 3 applications.  Most of the
sites I manage don't have a lot of trees by commercial standards but some
have a couple acres and often very large trees of susceptable varieties like
Mac.  They often have huge trees nearby that used to be the same commercial
orchard that was subdivided and the neighbor doesn't spray (or prune) at all
and trees are full of scab and CAR while my trees are clean.  At these sites
I make sure to include some Captan and rotate to  Flint in a petal fall ap.
or the final ap. 10 to 14 days later.

After a dozen years I haven't had a problem with resistance, even at sites
where I have only used Captan and Nova for the final 2 sprays, sometimes
adding Captan only once.  I even get adequate control just spraying twice at
petal fall and first cover.  Have you ever tried reducing your aps to see
what happens?  Maybe my success is because none of my sites has more than 3
acres or so of trees.