[NAFEX] male kiwi in trees?

Melissa Kacalanos mijwiz at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 16 17:05:34 EDT 2009

I'll be building a pergola for my two planned female kiwis, but I'm considering letting the male climb an otherwise useless little group of trees. Is there any reason not to do this? I don't care how high it gets, since it won't have any fruit to reach. Am I correct in assuming that it will bloom without any fancy pruning? I know the roots will compete, but I assume that the kiwi has some way of dealing with this, since isn't this how it grows in the wild?

Melissa