[NAFEX] Bud grafting height

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Sun Mar 15 16:03:20 EDT 2009

I don't think the implication was in my post, though I wondered if the
reason for the low budding that Sarah mentioned in the local course she
took was partly to protect the union from cold.

While I don't have enough personal experience, I have read from several
sources that graft unions are more vulnerable to cold than either stock
or scion. This may be limited to the early years, or especially in the
early years. My guess is that keeping the union low near the ground
surface (and possibly under the snow) will protect it. Getting it
underground on transplanting might protect it more. Scion rooting could
then be expected eventually.

If one were not worried about preserving the effect of a dwarfing
rootstock then scion rooting probably would not be a problem and might
be a benefit since there seems to be at least a little difficulty with
translocation of nutrients across most graft unions, or at least that is
how I interpret the data from the small number of studies on this topic
I have read. I am *guessing* that if the root makes a contribution to
plant vigour, then the original root would be maintained, scion rooting
would not take over entirely, and would not result in a decrease in the
vigour of the whole plant.

For new members, use of a nurse root, which may not be fully compatible
long term but will support the scion long enough for scion rooting to
take place if the union is buried on transplanting, is a well known
technique.

David, Sarah mentioned that she had mistakenly placed Corn Hill Nursery
(near Petitcodiac, New Brunswick) in Nova Scotia in her original post.
It was from Corn Hill that she had bought her trees.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada