[NAFEX] grape growth habits

Hélène Dessureault interverbis at videotron.ca
Fri Mar 13 15:43:38 EDT 2009

Hi,
If you have lots of wind your trellisses should be parallel to the dominant wind not accross it, so that wind runs down the rows. Apparently in windy areas, it makes a big difference for hardiness and production. (This opinion is based on reading a book on the introduction of white grapes in South Africa, at the turn of the century).

You did not mention your climate zone. The height of your grapes is dependant on climate. In Southern France for instance, the wine grapes are trelisses fairly high (5 to 6 feet), while in the areas around the river la Loire south of Paris but further north as far as climate goes, the wine grapes are trelisses to grow low (3-4 feet), while in Canada (let's say zone 5) some varieties are layed down on the ground under the snow for winter. (This opinion is based on having visited many vineyards all over France and seeing how the Italians in Ottawa are growing their Sicilian grapes).

This is what comes to mind reading your post.

Good luck!

Hélène, zone 3-4 north of Ottawa.