[NAFEX] Are Loganberries Commonly Bitter?

John S swim_at_svc at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 9 22:52:43 EDT 2009

My one venture with Loganberries lasted about 3 years.  The vines produced fruit that was tart until dead ripe then the flavor was excellent without any trace of bitterness.  The berries would turn almost purple at this point.  The number of berries was never high and I had problems with the winged rats taking the fruit before it could fully ripen, so I pulled them all out and use the space for something else.  Never ran into any bitterness with them and I would not call the fruit small.  However size of the fruit did not match those of the more popular blackberries' sizes you see these days.

John S
Zone 5