[NAFEX] Cloudberry

Jukka K jpkrvi at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 7 04:30:53 EST 2009

Oh, the magical cloudberry! Thinking of cloudberries brings to my mind happy memories from my childhood in Northern Finland, where cloudberries are a very important crop still today. Picking beautiful, ripe, fragrant cloudberries on an open marsh on a sunny day, it's one of my absolute favorite things (minus the mosquitos!)
There is some cloudberry breeding going on in Finlang, aiming at larger berries and hermaphrodite cultivars. A hermaphrodite clone found in nature in western Finland is now commercially available.
In the garden, cloudberry requires a "wet bed" similar to cranberry. I haven't tried that because I can get ample amounts of wild clouberried from my mom each summer.
If anyone is interested in getting wild cloudberry seeds from Finland, I can extract some and send next summer.

The follwing links may be of interest to those looking for cloudberry information:

http://www.uku.fi/northernberries/files/pdf/Northernberries2002-2005.pdf
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1993/v2-524.html

Regards,

Mr. Jukka Kallijarvi