[NAFEX] Cloudberry availability and propagation
george.brinson at nf.sympatico.ca
Fri Mar 6 14:30:14 EST 2009
HI............am reading the responses to Rubus chamaemorus and peoples like or dislike for the taste. I am living in the province of Newfoundland in eastern Canada and am in the "centre" of "bakeapple growing area" of Newfoundland. From info I can gather, it appears that ~1% of the population doesn't care for the taste, but the remaining 99% can not get enough of the berry. Its chief method of preparation is in jams and spreads and now, in fruit wines and liqueurs, as well.
The current price paid to harvesters here in the province is $50.00 per gallon of ripe berries, and the demand cannot be met! Someone "loves" the taste of this fruit!!!
----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Dossett
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 12:27 PM
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cloudberry availability and propagation
There are records of Rubus chamaemorus at the University of Minnesota Herbarium. The records appear to mostly be old (though one as recent as '05) from Lake and St. Louis counties, but I'm sure that there is still cloudberry in the same areas if not the exact same locations. Go to http://ssrs.cfans.umn.edu:8080/PlantsWebSearch/ and do a search and the info should come up.
Michael Dossett Corvallis, Oregon www.Mdossettphoto.com phainopepla at yahoo.com
--- On Fri, 3/6/09, Jim Fruth <jfruth at tds.net> wrote:
From: Jim Fruth <jfruth at tds.net>
Subject: [NAFEX] Cloudberry availability and propagation
To: "NAFEX" <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 7:32 AM
Sarah Ewing asked, "I'm wondering if anyone on here knows anything about
Cloudberries. I'm also looking for a commercial source for Cloudberry
plants or seeds.?
Ernest Plutko wrote, "About five years ago I saw cloudberry plants for sale
in a herb garden nursery a little north of Minneapolis. I don't remember
name of nursery or if it still in business. I didn't buy any because I
understand they are very difficult or impossible to grow south of their
I did some extensive research into Cloudberries a few years ago and here
is what I learned: Ernest, that nursery in Minneapolis has no trouble
growing their cloudberry plant but they told me that they only have male
plants that they propagate from cuttings. I scoured Alaskan nurseries for
plants or seeds but all I received was disappointment.
An officer from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources said that
a few plants have established themselves in the "Arrowhead" of Minnesota but
their location is kept secret.
Whether Cloudberry will thrive this far South seems to depend upon where
they came from, perhaps like Rubus arcticus, the Groundcover Raspberry that
Hartmann Plant Company sells. I bought some but they go into hibernation
when they bloom which coincides with the first warm Summer days here in
Minnesota. We have an almost identical species, R. triflorus that I sent to
Hartmann suggesting he see it instead. So, may I infer that if Cloudberries
are to thrive here is the lower 48, it depends upon where you got the plants
or seed from?
With that in mind, I encountered a NAFEXer from the Maritimes and he
sent me some seed (Canadians call it "Bakeapple") which I planted. That was
back in 2006 and they have yet to sprout. Cloudberry seeds require more
than a one season stratification. I planted them in acid ground where my
Lingonberries grow. Maybe some will sprout this coming Spring.
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more:
1-877-265-6856 (Toll Free)
1-218-831-7018 (My Cell)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the nafex