[NAFEX] Cloudberry

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Fri Mar 6 00:28:28 EST 2009

 From "Shrubs of Ontario" by James H. Soper and Margaret L. Heimburger
(Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum, 1982) page 235:

Rubus chamaemorus L. (Linnaeus)

Cloudberry, Bake-apple, Baked-apple berry.

A low herbaceous perennial with slender, creeping, woody rhizomes
covered with brownish papery bark, dioecious. Stems upright, unbranched,
and unarmed, 1-3 decimetres high, bearing leaves in the upper 1-3 nodes
and stipules only at the lower nodes.

Leaves alternate simple and deciduous, the somewhat leathery blades
rounded to reniform, 4-11 com wide, with 5-7 rounded lobes and rather
shallow sinuses; margins serrate with blunt teeth; stipules sheathlike,
especially the lower pairs; petioles 2-8 cm long.

Flowers unisexual, 2-3 cm diameter, solitary, and terminal on long
peduncles; calyx lobes pubescent and glandular, sometimes lacerate or
fringed; petals white and wide open in the mature flower; June and July.
Fruit 1-2 cm in diamweter, composed of a few large-seeded drupelets, at
first reddish, then turning amber to yellowish, soft and translucent
when ripe, falling quickly from the dry receptacle, edible, with a
pleasant distinctive flavour. ("chamaemorus" - from the Greek "chamae,"
on the ground, and the Latin "morus,"  the mulberry tree, in reference
to the dwarf habit and mulberrylike fruit)

Chiefly in sphagnum mats and hummocks, in black spruce bogs and muskegs,
and on mossy tundra.

Restricted to northern Ontario from the shores of Hudson Bay and the
islands in James Bay (N.W.T.) to the north shore of Lake Superior, not
collected in Ontario south of 48 degrees N.
(Greenland to Alaska, south to B.C., and east to Ont. and N. Eng.)

*****

On the map of Ontario, the southern edge of the distribution runs from
the American border along the Pigeon River to and along the north shore
of Lake Superior to about Marathon, thence east to Lake Abitibi.

Some years ago I read of a First Nations project in Labrador, to collect
cloudberries in the wild and ship them by air to urban markets, the
first leg by helicopter. I never heard that it became operational.
I have read that the fruit is quite delicate and perishable.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada