[NAFEX] Prunus maritima exceptionally hardy, tasty, and late-flowering

billmcnam at yahoo.com billmcnam at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 9 19:40:01 EDT 2009

Prunus maritima exceptionally hardy,tasty,and late-flowering

The late-flowering trait of this species holds potential for delaying flowering in other prunus species through interspecific hybridization.
Is anyone  aware of the existence of any such hybrids (e.g. peach X prunus maritima)
The peach pollen would have to be collected and stored untill the beach plum flowers, or the plum would need to be potted and brought into a heated greenhouse to induce early flowering

Are there named selections of this species that have been selected for exceptional fruit size and/or fruit quality?

[NAFEX] My Beach Plums (and best jams/jellies)
Tuesday, July 7, 2009 1:45 PM

From: "Jim Fruth" jimfruth at charter.net

To: "NAFEX" <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>

 I got my (25) Beach Plum bushes from the New Hampshire Department of
Conservation several years ago.  One got beat up during a mild Winter and
then I had 24.  Most were still alive (barely) after last Winter's -38.
Only two had live growth above the snow-line.  None of them have ever
suckered.  The two remaining are about 30" high and are wider in diameter
than they are high.  This isn't the first year they bloomed but it is the
first year that any have set fruit.
    I bought the original 25 because visitors (tourists) from New England
asked for the jelly assuming that, of our 30+ varieties, we must have their
favorite.  They added that if they had visited a shop in Martha's Vineyard,
for example, if that shop didn't have Beach Plum jelly, they would leave and
go to the next shop - supposedly(?) it is that good/tasty!
    I'll just keep the plants as a novelty.  Plum jam/jelly is among our
least sold/poorest sellers.  Our best sellers are Strawberry Jalapeno
(and/or raspberry Jalapeno and/or Blueberry Jalapeno), Chokecherry, and
Brambleberry (a mixture of red raspberry and black raspberry that tastes
better than either of the two separately).

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: