[NAFEX] Mark's honeybee question answered

Jim Fruth jimfruth at charter.net
Fri Jul 31 10:06:47 EDT 2009

Mark,
    A queen excluder doesn't have holes, rather parallel chrome plated
wires, I'm guessing...................maybe 1/4" apart.  Worker bees have to
almost squeeze through.  The old style queen excluders did have holes.  The
thing was a zinc sheet that had hundreds of  1/4" x 3/4" holes that were
rounded at the ends.
    If you cover your blueberry/blackberry patch with anything that a bee
can't fly(!) through, my best guess is that you'll get no pollinating from
them.  I'm planning on covering my blueberry patch and I'll use 1" mesh
chicken wire.  Plan B is to fence in the sides and use nylon bird netting on
top so it can be rolled up when it is time for pollinating or picking.
    Something else to consider is whether honeybees will even visit your
blueberries.  Honeybees have a proboscis that might be too short to perform
the task.  My blueberries are visited ONLY by bumblebees.
    You say that a honeybee question is "off topic."  I don't think so since
some of our fruits are dependent on them.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: