[NAFEX] What to do about Nanking death

Jim Fruth jimfruth at charter.net
Fri Jul 31 09:44:46 EDT 2009

mIEKAL wrote, "I have dozens of Nankings from 2 years old - 17 years old.
Everyone of them goes into a state of decline & branches gradually die back.
I tend to see the yellow leaves on the bushes later in the season after they
are done fruiting..."

    My best guess is that either there is something in your soil that your
Nankings don't like OR there is a deficiency.  Get a plant tissue analysis!
    I had blackberry leaves that got all scrunched up so I gathered up a
baggie full of them and sent it off to K Ag Laboratories for analysis.  The
results came back saying the soil was deficient of copper.  So I added a
smidgeon of copper and solved the problem.  Perhaps A & L Laboratories do
the same work; I don't know, you'd have to check.  A & L charges close to
half of what K Ag charges for soils tests.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: