[NAFEX] Strawberry Transplants

Ray Kaminski r-jkaminski at att.net
Wed Jul 29 13:49:45 EDT 2009

Jim. I do not fully agree that you cannot transplant strawberries in
the late fall.  I grow about a 30 foot row of Honeoye berries and am
in zone 4-5. Last year we had quite a bit of snow early and the patch
was covered from early December to April.  Some years with little
snow, the ground under the straw (cover) that I apply is frozen
probably a good 6 inches or more.
In late fall, about the end of September, I fill in the spots  in the
row where the plants are missing or too far apart with other plants
that are too close to each other or have gone outside the row.  I try
to have the plants set about 6 inches apart from each other and a
well filled in row about 4 feet wide. In the spring I check the
plants for any that might not have made it and ones that are not
going to produce that year.  I have yet to find that any(close to
zero) I moved are not producing. I water them good after
transplanting and to me they seem very happy in their new home.  I
till up all but the last foot of last years row and start a new row 4
feet away from that row.  When the runners start coming I move them
so they go to each other and by fall I have a nice, fairly full
row.  I use my own berry plants as I have not had disease or problems
with them. Ray