[NAFEX] Saskatoons

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Mon Jul 27 20:43:56 EDT 2009

Saskatoons and Serviceberries are still Amelanchier.  The Canadian
types have a "burst" growth habit adapted to the prairie areas.  They
start growth as soon as it's warm enough, grow like mad, then set buds
and stop growing.  Here, that means they bloom too early, then shut
down by July.  The local forms bloom later, have no rust, and keep
growing longer.   I've had the Canadian forms and they taste very close
to identical to the better selections I've found here.
-Lon Rombough
short, low resolution clip here:
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
A video about The Grape Grower :