[NAFEX] late blight warning (was climate, weather and fruit)

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Mon Jul 27 00:18:54 EDT 2009

On Jul 27, 2009, at 12:06 AM, Ginda Fisher wrote:

> Thanks.  I'd heard about it vaguely, but wasn't really aware of it.
>  But my symptoms look nothing like the photos there, and I did't buy
> any plants from "big box" stores (although I suppose my local garden
> shop might have), so that's probably not it.  Also, one of the
> tomoatoes is MUCH more affected than the three right next to it, and
> it's the one with the least resistence to "standard viruses" so I
> really think it's mostly the usual endemic tomato viruses, perhaps
> aided by the lack of vigor the tomatoes have in this weather.

If the symptoms look entirely different, and only one plant remains
significantly infected, then it probably is something else.

Where you got these particular plants, however, is unfortunately no
guarantee that they haven't got it. The problem is that late blight can
spread for miles on the wind; the plants originally infected have by
now given rise to lots of infection in plants that were clean to start
with.

--Rivka (who ought to have been asleep some time ago)
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly