[NAFEX] Strawberry runners

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Tue Jul 21 09:28:31 EDT 2009

On Jul 21, 2009, at 9:16 AM, Melissa Kacalanos wrote:

> Why would you mow strawberries? It sounds like something a nursery
> would tell you to do to prevent your strawberries from runnering.

It's fairly standard practice, at least according to most of what I've
read on the subject; the old leaves die off after harvest anyway, and
it's supposed to reduce disease pressure by having the old leaves break
down faster, instead of hanging dead on the plant. I've never had any
problem with plants refusing to runner afterwards. You need to do it
fairly soon after the end of harvest, though, before the new leaves
have grown; and mow high, so you don't damage the crowns; maybe the
ones that wouldn't runner were mowed too late or too low?. -- I haven't
actually seen much difference between years that I do mow them and
years that I don't.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly