[NAFEX] Deer and European Plums

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Sun Jul 19 13:09:13 EDT 2009

You've got  deer that are inexperienced with what you are growing
(hence the slightly nipped tomatoes).  They're trying things to see
what they like, and obviously the plum took their fancy.  Daylilies
have  a  slightly pungent odor that probably put them off.  Also, in a
situation where they are being highly alert, they don't like to bend
down to feed as they can't look around as easily.   Yours may start
feeding more on  lower growing things as they hang around more.  At
this stage a repellant such as egg spray should encourage them to move
on more readily.
Spray = 4-6 eggs thoroughly liquified in water with a high speed
blender.  Pour into 3 gallon sprayer and fill with water.  Spray on any
area they reach. Repeat after individual shoots grow six inches, OR two
heavy rains, or two to three overhead waterings, whichever comes first.
-Lon Rombough
short, low resolution clip here:
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
A video about The Grape Grower :