[NAFEX] When to pick apricots

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Sat Jul 11 13:03:19 EDT 2009

Rather to my surprise, my puget gold apricot is still covered with
fruit.  (Yes, I thinned it, but there's lots.)  The fruit has turned
golden, with a red blush.  It's still very hard.

I'm sure it would be best if picked fully tree-ripened, but I doubt
much will be left if I wait for that.  I find pits under the tree
pretty regularly even with unripe fruit, and I'm over-run with
chipmunks, squirrels, crows, deer, and lots of other stuff that no
doubt would enjoy ripe apricots, too.  I'll leave some to see if I can
get some ripe, put if I can pick some earlier, it's probably worth it.

When might I start picking some?  What do you look for?

Thanks,
Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6