[NAFEX] Pears Ripening

Richard Harrison rharrison922 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 6 13:57:37 EDT 2009

       A few Spalding, Hood and Flordahome pears are ripening now. Early July is earlier than  normal for NW Florida. August is usually the pear month for here---with Flordahome usually starting about the earliest except for 2 or 3 other "native unknown" low-chill varieties.
       The pears sampled thus far were pretty good---for Southern pears. They were picked about a week ago and ripened indoors. There are probably ripe pears on the trees now if birds and varmints haven't gotten to them.
        I assume all the triple didgit temperature days may have speeded up th ripening this year?
                                  Richard Harrison, NW FL