[NAFEX] Apple grafting

Michael Foster birdcrazie at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 6 08:48:52 EDT 2009

About a year ago I got the fruit tree bug ( I have had fruit trees for a long time but now I have the bug) so I decided to graft different varieties to my three apple trees. I have one each of semi dwarf Golden Delicious and Red Delicious, and a dwarf Granny Smith. I grafted 10 varieties onto the 3 trees and all but one  took.  The grafts on the Granny Smith did much better than the other two trees, they are healing much better and growing much faster, is this because of the rootstock, the variety or just chance?

Mike Foster,WV  zone 6

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.