[NAFEX] pear flavor just off the tree

Anton Callaway marillen at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 1 22:37:39 EDT 2009

Ed Fackler sent out an email a little while ago asking which European pears eople thought were good to eat just off the tree.

I left off one my list that's ripening now- 'Wilder Early'.  It's a summer pear, so not fabulous, but the best pear for it's season, in my opinion.  However, try to ripen it "properly" and you'll get core breakdown and dry flesh.  Right off the tree, it's slightly crisp, juicy and well-flavored, not to mention a beautiful pear to the eye.  It has prominent lenticels like 'Forelle' and a bright crimson blush on the sunny side.

Anton
Zone 7/8