[NAFEX] Pyrodwarf

Natelson, Ethan, M.D. ENatelson at tmhs.org
Wed Feb 11 11:07:08 EST 2009

Lee,

There are two clones of Pyrodwarf in the trade.  I tried the original
product, which is alleged to be the more dwarfing, in Houston, Texas.
It proved to be higher chill than most of the other Old Home crosses (it
is an Old Home cross with something else) with Farmingdale and with no
vigor in our climate and useless as a rootstock. I have also used it as
an interstem on P calleryana, and in this position it makes a nice union
with both rootstock and fruiting scion but only provides slight
dwarfing.  It does not seem to influence fruit size yield or tree shape.
I think the Van Weil Nursery sells both clones.

                                                                Regards,
Ethan