[NAFEX] fragrant vines

Melissa Kacalanos mijwiz at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 7 10:44:37 EST 2009

Alan,

Humph. You start out by describing this great kiwi, and then you don't have a name for it. I googled Rosanna, but it's described as having "red-blushed light green fruit," not purple.

Does it look like Actinidia arguta var. purpurea (purple kiwi) pictured as #12 here?
http://www.hort.wisc.edu/mastergardener/Features/fruits/kiwi/kiwi.htm

I was thinking of planting one green kiwi (probably Michigan State, since I know they do well here) and one red kiwi for variety. Now this purple one of yours sounds intriguing, so I'm looking for more information on it. Would you be willing to spare a cutting if I pay shipping?

Melissa

Alan Haigh <alandhaigh at gmail.com> wrote: I have one Kiwi whose name I've lost track of but it was supposed to be from Italy and may have had Rose as the first 4 letters.  Its fruit are large, flavorful and turn purple when fully ripe (it's not Ken's red).  On years it bears it is by far my best cropper and the fruit is extremely good (you know, for a kiwi).  That would mean that I actually enjoy eating them for a few days-  Others adore them.  I never pass judgement on people based on what species and varieties of fruit they love just on those who love none.

 This Kiwi- maybe Rosanna?-  is also my most fragrant kiwi with the largest flowers of all- they are actually almost showey.