[NAFEX] sugar maple and water

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Sun Feb 1 12:58:16 EST 2009

Here in the New England suburbs, grass grows up to the base of the oak
trees (white, red, black, scarlet) but there's typically a lot of bare soil
around the maples (sugar, red, and to a lesser extent norway).  Silver
maples only grow in damper patches - it's common to see them at the edge of
a lake or stream.

My sense is that maples like a lot of water and compete vigourously for it.
___
Ginda
eastern MA
zone 6