[NAFEX] A historical question

John Henderson jhenderson at ithaca.edu
Sun Apr 19 22:02:59 EDT 2009

It seems pretty clear that both seeds and scionwood were brought over by
different emigrants. I know some history of one apple tree that has some
documentation. There has been some speculation about whether the Rambo
(Winter Rambo, not Summer Rambo) was brought over from Sweden in 1641 by
Peter Gunnarsson Rambo as a seedling, thus making it a Swedish tree, or
if he brought over only apple seeds. Helpful information is found in an
addenda of notes to a supplementary diary published as an appendix to
Peter Kalm's /Travels in North America/, that was first translated into
English in 1937. In an entry on the early Swedish settlers, Kalm reports
on a conversation with Peter Rambo, grandson of Peter Gunnarsson Rambo,
on 30 January 1749. The grandson told him that the elder Peter Rambo
brought "apple seeds and other tree and garden seeds" with him in a box.
The first written documentation for the Rambo apple is not until William
Coxe's 1817 treatise "In A view of the cultivation of fruit trees, and
the management of orchards" in which he writes, "This apple is much
cultivated in Delaware, Pennsylvania, and New-Jersey; taking its name
from the families by whom it was introduced into notice." Therefore the
Rambo apple could have come after several generations of plantings and
orchard development. There is a long history of confusion between the
Rambo and Rambour apples, but they are not related. The Summer Rambo was
originally called the Rambour Franc, and was available in colonial
America about as earlly as the Rambo. Based on its genetic similarity to
the Rambour d'Ete found in France, scionwood must have been brought over
in colonial times.

John Henderson
Sage Hen Farm
Lodi, NY