[NAFEX] how grafts connect

dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Mon Apr 6 14:49:50 EDT 2009

It seems to me that if it is the sap that arrives at the outside of the wood to generate a new orbe (annual ring), bringing with it the necessary nutrients, etc. and conjoins itself with the moist part of the graft at the scion, then it is the rootstock (tree) that begins the generation process.  I've read that scions that are cut in spring just prior to the buds swelling and grafted within 4 - 5 days have the best chance of a successful graft because they are moist and the grafting takes place in their normal dormancy break cycle.  If that is the case, then it also seems to me that the chill hour requirements and the growing degree hours of the scion being grafted may play a part in the overall success of grafting.  Just a thought!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
Office (815) 648-4467
Mobile (815) 228-2174