[NAFEX] How to press oil from nuts and seeds?

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Tue Sep 23 23:03:07 EDT 2008

Nice technique, Lon.

When I was trying to produce everything from my minifarm, oils were a tough
challenge.  I used to have plans, I think they were from Rodale, for a
homemade oil press using a hydraulic jack.  I used a fine-mesh bag of ground
nuts in a cheese press, and a lot of leveraged weight.  Walnuts and pumpkin
seeds were good producers; but my easiest home-produced oil-like thing was
butter.

~ Stephen

From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Lon J. Rombough
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:52 PM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] How to press oil from nuts and seeds?

One way is to grind the seeds, put them in a cloth bag and boil the bag.
Punch it down repeatedly. The oil cooks out and rises to the top to be
skimmed off. Or if it will harden at low temps, put it in the refrigerator
and take the cold block of oil off the water.
-Lon Rombough
http://www.bunchgrapes.com Winner of the Garden Writers Association "Best
Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com