[NAFEX] prune definition

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Mon Sep 22 00:51:49 EDT 2008

Alan,

I don't feel at all combative.  I'm a word guy.  I think to the general
public prune means dried plum.  I think, as I said at first and all along,
that some people also use it to mean fresh plums that can dry whole without
fermenting.  I think such users commonly identify such plums by their shape
and firmness.  You asked for references, and I sent them.  Like I said, I
like words, and researching usage is pleasurable.

I believe our state produces more French prunes than Japanese plums,
although I don't think that's linguistically relevant.  The growers of the
two varieties of fresh crops call themselves prune or plum growers to
differentiate themselves.  The products are priced and processed
differently, and growers of each work with different coops, sellers, and
processors.

Hereabouts, I usually see fresh Japanese plums labeled plums or labeled by
variety, and elongated European prune-plums called prunes or fresh prunes.
Most people commonly seem to call fresh plums of any type plums, and dried
ones prunes.  I'm a little more aggie than most, and am one of the large
minority that call fresh prunes prunes.

Wasn't the question just whether the word prune is ever used to mean a fresh
plum?  Clearly, it is.

~ Stephen