[NAFEX] Good Highbush Cranberry?

Jim Fruth jfruth at tds.net
Fri Sep 19 10:40:29 EDT 2008

Kurt from Dunham, N.C. wrote, "is there truly such a thing as a "good
highbush cranberry"?  This is our second year of getting a few berries off
of the highbush cranberry (Viburnum trilobum), and they are one of the most
bitter things I have ever tasted."

Kurt,
    Do not eat Highbush Cranberries until they have froze at least twice!
The freeze/thaw cycles removes the bitterness and brings out the sugars but
don't ask me how it does that.  I've tried doing the freeze/thaw in my
freezer with unsatisfactory results; it is best to leave it on the plant and
harvest after AT LEAST two freeze/thaw cycles.
    Oh yeah, when you cook them, stand up-wind.  Some berries give off a
horrible stench when cooked.  Some don't and I haven't researched it to know
the difference.  And, if you make jelly with Highbush Cranberries, you can
expect it to smell like dirty socks when you open the jar.
    Despite the above, Highbush Cranberry is one of my favorite jellies and
I recommend it to everyone who can get past the odor.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: