[NAFEX] Asian pear recipes and preservation

Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu
Thu Sep 18 07:00:11 EDT 2008

I had Korean Giant/Don Bae - at least that's what I
ordered, and what the tree came labeled as - for
about 10 years.  It would set 2 or 3 fruits, while
the nearby Shinko & Chojuro would be loaded with nice
big pears, and Niitaka would have 5(or 20) golfball
size fruits per cluster(yeah, I know, you've GOT to
thin).  Those 2 or 3 KG fruits would get huge - as
you'd expect - but they never had any flavor
whatsoever, and not much sweetness.  I didn't shed a
tear when fireblight finally took it out.
Chojuro has a butterscotch-like undertone.
Several years back, Mark Lee sent scions of an Asian
with good flavor that he'd found and tentatively IDed
as Bong Ri - I'm hoping it will fruit next year.

Lucky