[NAFEX] Asian pear recipes and preservation

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Wed Sep 17 16:51:01 EDT 2008

At 10:45 PM 9/10/2008, you wrote:
>Shirley wrote:
>
>"This is the first year that my Asian Pear has produced and it was a
>bumper crop!  Now I am trying to find a way to use them and to save
>the wonderful taste to enjoy throughout the winter."
>
>Interesting.  My Shinko and Korean Giant also cropped for the first
>time, but I have yet to discover where their "wonderful taste" could
>possibly be hiding.  In fact, I have been weighing the choices of
>keeping them for making some sort of cider or wine out of them in
>future (neither will be very good unless the fruit actually sweeten
>up eventually) or just topgrafting them to something fit to
>eat.  Any suggestions?
Donna,
Chojuro has nice flavor; it's my favorite Asian pear to date - and I
agree, Shinko & KG are mostly just juicy without a whole lot of
flavor.  Hosui was tastier than those two, but still not as good as
Chojuro.  Niitaka's got some nice sized pears this year, but they're
not exceptionally flavorful - but pretty and juicy.
Shinko is probably the heaviest producing Asian in my orchard
year-in/year out.
My friend Joe Real sent me a bottle of 20th Century pear wine a
couple of years back - nice, and sweet - but I'm not much of a wine
connoisseur; I liked his blueberry wine better.

Lucky