[NAFEX] Asian pear recipes and preservation

Donna &/or Kieran holycow at cookeville.com
Wed Sep 10 23:45:57 EDT 2008

Shirley wrote:

"This is the first year that my Asian Pear has produced and it was a bumper crop!  Now I am trying to find a way to use them and to save the wonderful taste to enjoy throughout the winter."

Interesting.  My Shinko and Korean Giant also cropped for the first time, but I have yet to discover where their "wonderful taste" could possibly be hiding.  In fact, I have been weighing the choices of keeping them for making some sort of cider or wine out of them in future (neither will be very good unless the fruit actually sweeten up eventually) or just topgrafting them to something fit to eat.  Any suggestions?  Half the fruit is setting in a shed and the other half is still on the tree in hopes that they will improve.  Right now I am looking forward to the Kieffers which at least have some flavor.     Donna, also in TN