[NAFEX] crabapples, and haskaps

Sarah Kehler Ewing skkewing at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 8 19:09:13 EDT 2008

Hi Melissa,

I highly recommend Haskap/Honeyberries as worth growing.  They taste like an Oregon Grape crossed with a Blueberry: they may be a bit tart for eating out of hand for some people, but they make the tastiest pies, jams, sauces, etc.  We have almost all of the many varieties available: Blue Belle, Berry Blue, Blue Velvet, Svetlana, Blue Pear, Cinderella, Polar Jewel, Polar Night, (still looking for Blue Forest and I didn't have time to put in the new ones from U. of S: Tundra, etc.).  They all taste a little different: some are definitely sweeter than others and some have a hint of bitterness if picked too green (does not show up when cooked).  They have never died back in zone 3 even with no protection or snow at -35F and have produced nice crops of inch long berries with little watering.  The one thing they are susceptible to is Spit Bugs which don't seem to actually bother them.  The only other caution I have is that their branches are very brittle: our
 deer chaser dogs made a path beside one bush that started the winter 3' tall and ended it 6" tall!

As for sources: Park Seeds carries 'Blue Velvet', but you need two for cross-pollination (I believe Park Seeds lists their honeyberries as zone 5 or something ridiculous like that: they are zone 2, probably even zone 1 hardy). You could check with DNA Gardens as they might ship across the border.

Sarah, zone 3, Edmonton, Alberta